The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, April 4, 2014

I buy new tools

I'm sure you all clicked on that because you thought it said "nude," and now that you see pictures of tools you will all just click through.

I bought a vintage 1/2" drive SK brand socket set on eBay. That was not what I was looking for. I was trying to buy a boxend offset wrench that had 1/2" on one end and 9/16" on the other. These are the two sizes that I use frequently to adjust the baler knotter.
I've had several of these wrenches and I frequently loose them. I suspect there are SK wrench trees sprouting in people's fields all over the neighborhood.
FleaBay is an interesting place to buy tools. Brands like SK or Craftsman are bargains in comparison to Proto or Matco. Older brands like Indestructo are also excellent buys.
Real mechanics like to buy their tools from the Proto van and pay lots of money for them. However, SK and Craftsman are good quality tools with Lifetime replacement. I always look for those two brands at garage sales and thrift stores. If you get a bad socket you can take it to a distributer and they will give you a new one.
I bid on two sets and got them both. I really didn't need two 1/2" drive socket sets. I will never use a 1/2" drive speed handle or a 1/2" drive sparkplug wrench.
However, I really like the breaker bar that can be used as a drive extension.
I like tools.
Perhaps I will next post a photo of my toolbox which my daughter organized for me.

4 comments:

  1. SK (Saskatchewan?) Wayne and Indestro are two old tool names on this farm and I still have some my dad bought many years ago. They were quality. I might have to do some window shopping on ebay although I think postage would eat up any big savings I might get on purchase. It is actually getting warm enough to work outside now without pre-heating the wrenches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never have enough tools.

    The old Craftsman tools are excellent quality. I've only ever taken one back for replacement - screwdriver I stupidly used as a pry bar.

    Be aware that the majority of the new ones sold at Sears are not made in the USA. Some are, but most are not. You can generally tell by the prices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife organizes my tools by having a yard sale.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!