The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, December 11, 2014

It has been a bad year

I looked at my facebook page last night and I'm pretty sure someone else I knew has died.
She was not a close friend. She used to sit behind me in English and in front of me in History class because of alphabetical seating.
In 8th grade she liked to talk about sex. She would get into these long arguments about who could "last the longest" with the boy behind her. I attempted to be this guy's friend in fifth grade but he would get violent and he was weirder than I.
He liked to wear a wide leather watch band in the 1970's style of the day. It was held together with a wire bread twisty.
I had no clue what they meant by "lasting the longest" and at first I would try and nod wisely. Later I just ignored them. I really hope I did not turn my caustic wit upon them. I still have no clue what they were talking about. I suppose they had read "Penthouse."
I actually considered the girl a friend. We sometimes walked home from school together when I moved to the farm. She a friend of one of the neighbor girls. We lived at the very end of our morning bus route and so worked out a deal with the bus drivers where we got on the bus that went buy our houses but rode a different bus to the road that goes by the farm. It was a mile walk from the intersection home.
Soon after I joined facebook she asked to be my friend. I don't really talk much on facebook so I just accepted her friend request.
I think she just died. It appears she had cancer.
I feel bad. I would have been happy to have a chat with her. If she thought I was a sarcastic jerk in High School I would liked to apologize.
I just never know what to say to people...
It is pouring down rain.
Yesterday it started pouring when I was attempting to take a window regulator out of an old truck parked in a fence from. I was soaked to the skin by the time I got back to the house with the four-wheeler.

5 comments:

  1. it is always a shock when people our age start to die. i can barely believe i'm an adult, let alone on the other side of 40. i'm very sorry for this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its true, I used to look for friends and acquaintences announcements in the wedding and births newspaper columns. Lately I just check the obits.
    And b.t.w. even after you die you will live on via facebook unless they consent to your family removing the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My facebook page is pretty non-existent. That way nobody I don't really know will be upset when I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a little strange when I see the name of one of my deceased facebook friends show up on my page as "liking" something. It happens.

      Delete
  4. It amazes me when I think of the kids that I went to school with who aren't here anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!