The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, May 15, 2015

A success

I This evening I received this photo from a neighbor that I planted fescue for.

He asked me to send him his bill and seemed quite satisfied with my planting job. 
This was encouraging as I just heard from another neighbor that planting fescue seed "three fingers" deep was most likely going to fail. 
This field was no-tilled at 3 pounds of seed per acre. The seed was placed 1 1/2" to 2" deep, the rows are 22 1/2" apart.
 The seed depth was measured from the surface of the ground. I set the front coulters on the drill 2 1/2" deep and the  double disk openers 1 1/2" deep. The press wheels force the seed into the bottom of the trench and it is usually covered by 1" of packed soil and then another inch of loose soil.
Then the farmer rolled the field at opposing angles with a corrugated roller. This broke up the hard surface and helped seal the ground.
I think I planted this two weeks ago.
It also had 10 gallons of 10-34 fertilizer placed in the row.
One key is that it rained a good half an inch soon after planting. I think that will keep it growing through the summer.
Makes me feel better about life...

2 comments:

  1. It's the small victories that keep us going. And coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherish the good guys, try to stay away from the bad ones.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!